Family School Connection
Family School Connection helps children at Hartford’s Dr. Ramon E. Betances Early Reading Lab School to succeed in school and enjoy the life long benefits of a positive educational experience through a partnership with teachers, families and program staff. The program assists families to better connect with their children’s school, enhances parenting skills, addresses basic needs, and connects families to community resources. Family School Connection builds on family strengths, while it addresses barriers to a child’s academic success.
HOW IT WORKS
Intensive individualized services include:
- Weekly home visits
- Referrals to services and resources
- Parent and family education
- Group activities and field trips
Families are eligible if a child has:
- Frequent unexcused absences/tardiness from school
- Behavioral, language, learning or other developmental issues and the parent or guardian is struggling to address them.
- Demonstrated a pattern of unmet basic needs and the family requires assistance to successfully meet them.
- Not been enrolled in school but is of mandatory school age.
The Referral Process:
- Teacher, social worker or staff complete referral form
- Referral source attempts to let parent(s) know about Family School Connection (FSC) services/referral.(Note: Families may self-refer as well. Please call program staff.
- Referral form is returned to the FSC program in the Family School Connection mailbox in the Betances School office or mail to FSC, c/o Hands On Hartford, 330 Main Street, 3rd floor, Hartford, CT 06106; or fax to: Family School Connection at 860-549-5966
Contact us with questions or for assistance making a referral.
- Olga Ruiz, Home Visitor 860 246-6757 x 2307
- Milagros Reyes, Home Visitor 860 246-6757 x 2309
Family School Connection is public-private partnership of Hands on Hartford, Dr. Ramon E. Betances Early Reading Lab School in Hartford, and the Children’s Trust Fund, a division of State of CT, Dept. of Social Services